Sunday 12 August 2012

Racing Game - Powering on ahead!

I've neglected the blog for a few days, spent my time working on the app rather than writing about it. As a result, quite a lot of progress has been made in the past few days :)

Here's a video of the app as it currently stands:




Here's what I've achieved over the weekend:
  • Car can no longer leave level bounds
  • Acceleration and deceleration greatly improved
  • 4:3 aspect ratio enforced on all devices
  • Improved graphics
  • Improved icons
  • Haptic feedback (vibrate when offroad)
  • Results screen implemented
  • Best time screen implemented
  • Added help/about placeholder screens
  • A couple of minor bugfixes
If you would like to see how the above was achieved, the best thing would be to check out the code on github. In brief:
  • Fixed aspect ratio was achieved by simply applying what is discussed here.
  • The additional screens were essentially copy and paste jobs of the pre-existing MenuScreen class, followed by a little tinkering.
  • Opengameart.org and Clker.com are great sources of royalty free art for the artistically impaired.
If you'd like to try the (still unfinished) game - have a look here :)           

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was wondering if you still had the source code for the race game - the github link is broken, I just found your Blog today and this is an excellent resource!!

    Kind Regards

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting Stuart :) Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been on holiday. I'll dig out the code when I get a chance this weekend and reupload to github.

      Ideally I'd give it a bit of a tidy up first as I now know things I didn't know then, and would like to tidy up the ugly bits, but I'm afraid I don't have the time right now. Maybe like in the old spectrum magazine days with type in listings I'll leave the improvements as an exercise for the reader :D

      PS - I do have another project up on github already that might be of interest to you, might be worth you checking it out? https://github.com/TheInvader360/

      Delete
    2. Hi Stuart, I've got the racing game up on github again now https://github.com/TheInvader360/race-game Hope this is of use to you!

      Be sure to let me know when you've got a finished game up on google play for me to have a go at :)-

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete